Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Terrific Trip Recount

On Thursday May 20th Tumu Hub went to Margret Mahy, Victoria Square, Feeding the tuna and The Avon Waka. The reason why we went on a town trip was because it will help us with our PBL and our Tūrangawaewae.


My favourite part of the trip was the Waka because I’ve never been on a Waka before. It was cool because I liked how all of us went at the same pace when we were rowing. Victoria Square was fun because I’ve never seen a Pou in real life. It’s amazing how the Maori people carved it to make a story out of the Pou. Margret Mahey was interesting because the woven mats had a saying in it and it had a purpose. Feeding eels\tuna was fun because I’ve never fed an eel in my life even though I fed a female one. It was so big.


Something I learnt was that the Waka was designed by Maori people and that they went fishing with their Mōkihi. Captain James Cook was the first person to discover New Zealand. There was a waiata that was carved into the stone circle that told a story of what happened at Margaret Mahey before the Earthquakes happened in 2010 and 2011. The Female eels\tuna are bigger than the female. That the female eels\tuna lay up to 1.2 million baby eggs.


The thing I found the most interesting was the telephone box in Victoria Square. I felt like I was in London. The designs on the Waka were interesting because I felt like I was in the Waka with the Maori people and I was helping them to catch some fish with their Mōkihi nets. Margaret Mahey woven mats were interesting because they had a purpose of what was happening in the old days and it represents their culture. The tuna were interesting because I didn’t know about the Tuna that much but once I heard all about them it helped me to learn more about the tuna.

 

This trip has helped me with my PBL because I now understand what I have to do for our PBL and I can’t wait to meet my new PBL group.


Has your school ever been on a town trip before?






2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mila,
    It sounds like you had a incredible time on your town trip. Yes I have gone to Margret Mahy before with my school. Next time you could add a bit more information about the Waka looked like. I love the way you explained about the eels. What was your second favourite activity.
    Kiriana

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post